Re: Separate attributes vs context-aware software [RE: RPS WG (was Re: [Rps] Re: Latest RPSLng draft)]

"Larry J. Blunk" <ljb@merit.edu> Tue, 13 January 2004 16:21 UTC

Subject: Re: Separate attributes vs context-aware software [RE: RPS WG (was Re: [Rps] Re: Latest RPSLng draft)]
From: "Larry J. Blunk" <ljb@merit.edu>
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: rps@ietf.org, rpslng@ripe.net
Sender: rps-admin@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:22:09 -0500

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 03:24, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (I tailed down the Cc: list..)
>
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> > > OK, I now found that the doc did have an IETF Last Call
> > > in late August/Early Sept.
> >
> > and there were technical objections which have not been addressed
>
> Thanks, Randy, for reminding about that.
>
> Based on some off-list discussion, the technical objections being
> referred to are the comments from Mark Prior on the list, one of them
> copied below.
>
> I'll try to summarize the loooo-ong thread somehow.  Mark believes
> that the current RPSLng proposition unnecessarily adds complexity to
> the operators' use of the language, as e.g. IPv4 and IPv6 addresses,
> peerings, etc. could all be facilitated by redefining the current
> attributes etc. -- and whichever would be returned could be evaluated
> based on the context.  As the number of operators using the language
> is extremely high (and we'd like it to be higher :-) compared to the
> registry/tool implementations, Mark argues that optimizing for the
> simplicity to the operators is the most important goal.
>
> Curtis objects to this mainly based on the fact that this would break
> the backward compatibility for the clients which do not expect to
> receive IPv6 data back from their queries.  This could be easily fixed
> e.g. in tools like IRRToolSet, but that there are a probably a number
> of hacks built on top of perl, telnetting to port 43, or whatever,
> which might not be equally fortunate.
>
> Workarounds to this seem to be adding some kind of version negotiation
> or inclusion to the whois protocol (in the future, maybe using CRISP),
> so that only the clients who signal "yes, I can process IPv6 records!"
> would activate the IPv6 context processing.  This could also be passed
> to the whois server with an option, like '--use-rpslng' or '-6'. Or
> maybe the client would state which records it wants to get, e.g.
> '-6' for only v6 records, '-4' for only v4 records, nothing (or -N (or
> something, for "NEW", otherwise only v4 would be returned :) for
> both).  At least RIPE database allows the use of '-Vxxx' verstion
> string to tell about the version of the client software.
>
> The exact details of how this method would work out would need to be
> fleshed out.  Any takers?

  I don't believe this would be particularly productive.  These
are implementation details which are really outside the scope of
the RPSLng work.  I don't see the objections to RPSLng as objective
technical issues, but rather subjective preferences.

> Personally, when I was trying to form an opinion on this subject, I
> found myself thinking that Mark's proposal addresses only IPv4/IPv6
> case.  It doesn't seem to address how one could specify different
> unicast/multicast policies, or how to specify different v4/v6
> policies.  This is also one goal of RPSLng.. even though the major
> operators who do have multicast or v6 often want their policies to be
> the same.
>
> How would this work out if a "more intelligence" model was adopted?
>
> (I'm personally a bit unsure whether a "more intelligence in the
> tools" -model would or would not make sense at this point, but I think
> I can see both sides of the argument..)

   It is very difficult to judge the impact of such a model without
having a complete census of the various tools in use by ISP's.  For
example, C&W has an extensive set of in-house developed tools which
interact with IRR's.  Is it fair to ask them to hack up their tools
to fit this model?

> Could we get some form of discussion and maybe consensus on what would
> seem to be the right way forward? :-)

    I think we have already reached the point of "rough" consensus.
Again, I view the expressed objections as subjective preferences rather
than solid technical beefs with the specification.

  Regards,
    Larry