Re: [rrg] Ivip exemplifies Noel's support for "Adventurous Practical Design"

jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) Mon, 25 January 2010 17:22 UTC

To: rrg@irtf.org
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:22:29 -0500
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [rrg] Ivip exemplifies Noel's support for "Adventurous Practical Design"

    > From: Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>

    > Past and current LISP development seems to be predicated on the belief
    > that this, or anything like it, is and will remain impossible.

Yes, we do not believe that full-table distribution is feasible. You
disagree. It's clearly a matter of opinion, and you clearly don't agree with
our opinion. That's fine - just don't expect us to agree with yours, either.

The irony, to me, is that I have other people asking me if even a _caching_
system will scale, in terms of the amount of control traffic. If they are
right (and I take their concerns seriously, although I think the paper by
Iannone and Bonaventure shows that caching will scale OK), even a caching
system will produce too much control traffic.

So we're actually sort of in the middle on this point...

	Noel