Re: [RSN] Update

"Timothy J. Salo" <salo@saloits.com> Sun, 03 June 2007 20:50 UTC

Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:50:14 -0500
From: "Timothy J. Salo" <salo@saloits.com>
To: rsn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [RSN] Update

JP Vasseur wrote:
> 2) New name
> Although we called this initiative RSN: Routing for Sensor Networks, it
> does apply more generally to constrained nodes (Low Power)
> operating in Lossy Networks. Objects in general would typically be part
> of those networks. So from now on, let's rename this work
> R2LN: "Routing issues for Low Power, Lossy Networks", and use that
> acronym in all IDs.

I suggest that "Routing Issues in Low-Power Wireless Networks"
might be more descriptive.

"Wireless" implies "lossy".  "Wireless" also implies a variety
of other behaviors, such as a limited-range broadcast (usually),
and a variety of others.

I doubt that we will spend any time at all thinking about
low power wired networks.

"Low-Power" sounds better than "Resource-Constrained", although
the latter might be more descriptive.

And finally, to do the job well, this group must look at more
than just routing issues (e.g., neighbor discovery and management
in low-power wireless networks).  We might consider:

   "Internetworking Issues in Low-Power Wireless Networks"

or

   "Internetworking Issues in Resource-Constrained Wireless Networks"

or even

   "Internetworking Issues in Resource-Constrained Networks" (I2RCN)

One (non-trivial) advantage of "Internetworking" is that it
helps answer the question: Why should the IETF (e.g., rather than
the IEEE) be interested in this work?  (Assuming that we think
about how low-power wireless networks should be interconnected
with the Internet.)

-tjs