Re: [rtcweb] Proposed text - remote recording use case

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 14 September 2011 05:48 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>, Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:50:34 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "<rtcweb@ietf.org>" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposed text - remote recording use case

[JRE] I agree the modified words don't make sense and would like to stick to the words I proposed at the start of this thread.

> > Ayy1: The web application MUST be able to ask the browser
> to transmit in
> > real-time to another browser/session recording server(SRS) that are
> > being transmitted to and received from remote browser.
>
> Same as above.
>
> > As I asked in the meeting (but couldn't discuss due to time
> constraint),
> > it is possible for browser to do the signaling directly to the SRS
> > without going through original webserver. The signaling towards
> > recording is not required to be SIP but it shall be websocket (let
> > discuss separately). Here, the advantageous in this model
> is that the
> > recording signaling hop is reduced to 1 hop (browser to SRS)  from 2
> > hops (browser to webserver, webserver to SRS).
> >

> Actually, I don't think it is possible for the rtcweb browser
> to properly do SIPREC, even if it had a SIP stack to do it
> with.  The reason is the browser doesn't know the full call
> metadata.  The browser doesn't know the calling/called party
> info, for example.  Even the javascript itself may not know
> it, depending on how the application provider does their
> logic.  They could decide to have some state/logic be handled
> by the web server, rather than all in the javascript.  For
> example the javascript may just display a list of friends
> using aliases or icons, and the web server may be the only
> one who knows what the friend's AoR/URI actually is for that alias.
[JRE] Quite so. Metadata would come from the application, but whether this is server-side or client-side is out of scope for RTC-Web. The important thing is that an application that is able to do the SIP and Metadata part of SIPREC can ask the browser to do the media part.

John