Re: [rtcweb] Call for comment on document split

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org> Fri, 17 June 2011 20:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:11:44 -0700
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
To: Kundan Singh <kundansingh_99@yahoo.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Call for comment on document split

As a software developer myself, I believe that this approach is wrong.  The goal
of the IETF is to make the Internet work better, not to make the developers life
better.

Implementers should contribute running code to help the IETF make the Internet
work better, by having multiple implementations of the same protocol and find
any interoperability, security and extensibility issue as soon as possible.
Documenting one implementation as protocol creates monoculture, and everybody
should know better by now than encouraging this.

And BTW, I do not think that "scaring away" developers is a bad thing.