Re: [rtcweb] UPDATED Draft minutes for Wednesday session of IETF 83

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 16 April 2012 12:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:01:14 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] UPDATED Draft minutes for Wednesday session of IETF 83

Thanks for these!

The only serious comments I have are on the codec discussion near the
end; otherwise, there are grammar nits.

Notes:
- Please convert to ASCII. Quotes and non-ASCII characters are broken.
- "One attack by claim to link to something, but what you really connect
to is some other site"
Grammar issue: by claim -> by claiming
- "In Jingle to enable early response with the ICE candidates and the
username and password are anyway needed." -> could not parse this
sentence. Please reword.
- One instance of "Collin Perkins" (misspelled name)
- "straight forward" -> "straightforward"
- "Regarding the key-exchange and the round trip time. We will
encounter cases, like the trombone where the signaling server is far
away and the media peer is close." - the first full stop should be a
comma for grammatical correctness.
- "no overhead in a waste majority of cases." -> "no overhead in the
vast majority of cases"
- "The chairs declared No Consensus between these two options due to very
evenly strength hums." - grammatically, it needs to be "even strength
hums"; I would formulate it as "approximately even strength hums", given
that I don't remember them as *that* even (but I was not at the front of
the room).

- "Harald: I hope we can limit the number of cases where SDP manipulation
is limited." - I certainly hope I said "needed" as the last word.
- "Harald regards hints as steering wheel and brake pedal,
while SDP is plugging in to engine control. Hopes can do what we need
via hints." - "in to" -> "into"; "Hopes can do" -> "He hopes that we can
do".

- "you are talking of SCT/DTLS/UDP." -> SCTP/DTLS/UDP
- "Tim (Mozilla)" -> Tim Terriberry
- Tim P -> Tim Panton

"Cullen: raise your hand in favor of H.261
                                     H.264
                                     VP8"

The numbers (or proportions) need to be part of the minutes, and the
minutes need to make it clear that this was a straw poll, not a hum for
consensus (Ted made that very clear, but it's not clear from the minutes.)

Allistair ??: The discussion was the same in H.323, and G.711 was
selected as audio codec because of IPR free. None believes it would be
useful, but this stopped the discussions.

I believe this was followed by a remark saying a huge amount of current
traffic is G.711 or worse.