Re: [rtcweb] RTP Usage: RTCP XR metrics

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Tue, 19 February 2013 15:22 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:21:54 +0000
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] RTP Usage: RTCP XR metrics

I find the meaning of a lowercase "recommended" unclear. Do you mean an RFC 2119-style "RECOMMENDED", or a more general recommendation, akin to an RFC 2119 style "MAY"?

If the aim is that these block types are RECOMMENDED to be implemented, then I think more explanation is needed about why they're important for practically all WebRTC implementations, and under what circumstances it makes sense to omit these blocks. Such strong support for these metrics needs to be justified.

Alternatively, if you mean that these RTCP XR blocks MAY be implemented, then I see little point in including such a long list, since it doesn't help interoperability.

Colin