Re: [rtcweb] Proposed text for local recording use case

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Tue, 23 August 2011 14:02 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:03:42 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposed text for local recording use case

On 8/23/11 3:50 AM, Elwell, John wrote:

> [...]

I agree there is a significant difference between local and remote
recording.

But in the RTCWEB context there are a number of alternatives for local
recording. Specifically, how is the decision made to record locally?

- the user could have configured the browser to unconditionally
   record every media stream, without regard to what the JavaScript
   has to say about it. This might be an important policy choice if
   you don't trust what the web sites do

- the JS downloaded from a web server may come with instructions
   to make a local recording.

- the JS downloaded from a web server may contain code that checks
   local policy in the browser and/or queries the user, to decide
   whether to make a local recording

In the latter two of the above the decision to record or not rests with
the web server. In the first case it does not. The first case also
requires a different sort of implementation in the browser - it must be
hooked into the stream processing machinery at a lower level.

I think its necessary to decide whether the first case needs to be
supported. Its tricky, because recording everything is probably
excessive, yet I'm not sure I'm ready to trust that all the web servers
I want to use will do the right thing.

Is there a middle ground?

	Thanks,
	Paul