Re: [rtcweb] Regarding the use-case document

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Fri, 01 June 2012 07:37 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 09:37:26 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Regarding the use-case document

I'm starting to think that we need to encapsulate the identity work somehow.

It's clear that there needs to be a basic set of tools exposed from the
lower layer RTCWEB work (chiefly DTLS, and possibly EKT) to support
identity assertions about communications partners.

But it's clear that our current use cases document doesn't adequately
cover requirements on what kind of identity can exist, and what
information they need to be able to verify about each other - and that's
a rather big undertaking to get right.

draft-ietf-rtcweb-identity-use-cases, anyone?

                   Harald

On 05/31/2012 03:04 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:
> Yes, let's set aside some time to discuss this at the interim.  When I brought up call center use cases a while ago, we reached the conclusion that the webRTC endpoint was the corporate gateway/ACD and that anything behind it (including the agent) was out of scope (which is another way of saying that it could work any way the corporation wanted.)  The result was that call centers fell under legacy inter-op and no changes were needed to the use cases.
>
> In general corporate/call center uses of webRTC will be important, so it's worth going over this once more to make sure we agree on how they fit into the framework.
>
> - Jim

>>> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg04202.html
>>> [2]
>>> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg04203.html