Re: [rtcweb] Interaction between MediaStream API and signaling

Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> Sat, 31 March 2012 05:01 UTC

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 07:01:45 +0200
From: Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
To: Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Interaction between MediaStream API and signaling

On 03/30/2012 04:26 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:
> Doesn't the basic model require that the offer be ready to receive media
> as soon as it sends the offer?  If that's the case then the offer must
> be ready and able to map RTP streams to media streams (using the mapping
> specified in the SDP for its offer) as soon as it sends the offer.

Yes, the basic SDP o/a model requires that the offerer is ready to
receive media as soon as the offer is sent. But as I tried to explain
(but obviously failed to) is that there is an additional constraint
here: the JS application deals with MediaStreams, which often has more
than one track, e.g. one video and one audio track. A track in turn
would correspond to an RTP stream. And you can have several concurrent
MediaStreams in action.

Say now that the offerer, before getting an ANSWER with info, receives
three RTP streams; two video and one audio. The offerer would in this
situation not have a clue how these belong together. One could be video
from a front facing camera (that is supposed to be displayed on a large
video screen), the other video RTP stream could contain the video from
the rear facing camera and is supposed to together with the audio RTP
stream be one MediaStream that is supposed to be played in sync in a
thumbnail video display.

Without the offerer having the info about what these RTP streams
represent it can't do anything sensible.

Stefan