Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail-09: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Wed, 04 July 2018 00:17 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: Reshad Rahman <rrahman@cisco.com>, rrahman@cisco.com, rtg-bfd@ietf.org, draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail@ietf.org, bfd-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail-09: (with COMMENT)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 17:17:40 -0700

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail-09: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-active-tail/

COMMENT:

Rich version of this review at:
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D3976

COMMENTS
S 5.2.3.
>      (regardless of the state of the forward unicast path), the tail will
>      detect the failure but the head will remain unaware of this fact.
>
>      The head will detect a BFD session failure to the tail but cannot
>      make a determination about the state of the tail's multipoint
>      connectivity.

This seems to contradict the paragraph two above "If the multipoint
path fails". Or am I misreading?

S 5.2.3.
>      connectivity.
>
>      If the forward unicast path fails but the reverse unicast path stays
>      up, the head will detect a BFD session failure to the tail if it
>      happens to send a unicast Poll sequence, but cannot make a
>      determination about the state of the tail's multipoint connectivity.

This doesn't seem right if the multicast path works.

S 6.4.
>      [I-D.ietf-bfd-multipoint], in which BFD Control packets flow only
>      from the head and no tracking is desired of tail state at the head,
>      is accomplished by setting bfd.ReportTailDown to 0 in the
>      MultipointHead session (Section 5.1).
>
>      If the head wishes to know of active the tails, it sends multipoint

This is ungrammatical.

S 6.5.
>   6.5.  State Machine
>
>      Though the state transitions for the state machine, as defined in
>      section 5.5 of [I-D.ietf-bfd-multipoint], for a session type
>      MultipointHead are only administratively driven, the state machine
>      for a session of type MultipointClient is same and the diagram is

"is the same"