Re: BFD MIB extension for MPLS-TP

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Sun, 08 January 2012 23:51 UTC

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 18:51:23 -0500
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: rtg-bfd@ietf.org, Sam Aldrin <aldrin.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: BFD MIB extension for MPLS-TP
Cc: draft-vkst-bfd-mpls-mib@tools.ietf.org, rcallon@juniper.net

[cc: mpls chairs]

Sam,

I believe this MIB is in scope for the BFD WG charter:

"1. Develop the MIB module for BFD and submit it to the IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard.

5. Assist in the standardization of the BFD protocol for MPLS-TP. The
preferred solution will be interoperable with the current BFD
specification."

However, there's also some argument to keep all of the MPLS-TP MIB work
together in the MPLS WG.

Most of the MPLS-TP work, including MIBs, is occurring in the MPLS WG.
Doing a cursory review of the two other drafts you presented in the same
session, there is no strong binding from the oam-id or te-mib to the BFD
MPLS-TP MIB, but the MPLS-TP BFD MIB has a strong dependency on the oam-id
MIB.  The MPLS-TP BFD MIB depends on a common index from the bfd session
table.  Given these dependencies, it seems to make some some sense to keep
the MPLS-TP MIB work bundled together in on group.

I was not at IETF 82. Per the MPLS WG minutes it sounds like there is
some debate as to which WG would cover this work.  I personally have no
strong preference as to which group is in the draft name since the BFD WG
will be providing review, per charter, regardless of which group it is in.

With that, I pass the WG adoption token back to the MPLS chairs.  We're
happy to take on the work if you don't want it.

-- Jeff