Re: [mpls] Review of draft-mirsky-mpls-bfd-bootstrap-clarify

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Sun, 04 February 2024 16:36 UTC

Subject: Re: [mpls] Review of draft-mirsky-mpls-bfd-bootstrap-clarify
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 11:36:20 -0500
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, "rtg-bfd@ietf. org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>
To: Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@gmail.com>

+bfd WG.

Some original comments to Adrian were:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rtg-bfd/SYouXfNrVyKHErqacOuM2fICzMc/ <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rtg-bfd/SYouXfNrVyKHErqacOuM2fICzMc/>

Apparently, Greg didn't consider this worth holding his peace over.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5085 <https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5085> was filed and accepted as a clarification for RFC 5884 as part of a prior round of this discussion.

LSP Ping is getting its norao update currently in MPLS.  While it's my opinion that the current set of changes to that document don't negatively impact backward compatibility with RFC 5884, it's a normative enough change that perhaps it's worth moving forward with the small updates to RFC 5884.

In my opinion, the appropriate work is to take this to BFD for RFC 5884-bis, which would be co-reviewed with MPLS.  I believe we can get at least one of the original authors to pick up that work.

That said, the BFD chairs are completely unaware of anyone experiencing any sort of confusion covering RFC 5884 procedures other than Greg.

-- Jeff