Re: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-02.txt

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Thu, 13 September 2018 21:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 14:36:11 -0700
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>, rtg-bfd WG <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-02.txt

Hello Greg & Authors,

great to see this draft progressing!

As usual I'm a bit late :-/ but I do have some questions/comments:

Q1: the TTL = 1 requirement for the inner IP packet. The explanation for the
MUST is

         TTL: MUST be set to 1 to ensure that the BFD packet is not
         routed within the L3 underlay network.

I find this a very implementation-specific reason that may not apply to many
other implementations. But the demand for TTL = 1 may limit what can be done
with today's silicon, which is why I question this demand here :-)

You will find off-the-shelf silicon that offers you BFD RFC5881 "in
hardware". For the ASIC user the usage is typically fixed by the API/SDK and
RFC5881 uses TTL = 255 for send and check on receive. Using a loopback port
it would be simple to use this RFC5881 BFD engine to send packets over the
VxLAN tunnel.  But the TTL=1 requirements defeats this.  Could we drop it?

Q2: in this context of TTL you write

   10.  Security Considerations

      The document recommends setting the inner IP TTL to 1 which could
      lead to a DDoS attack.

First, you don't recommend - you say MUST. But as a non-native speaker maybe
this is a misinterpretation on my side ;-)
More interesting: how does TTL = 1 raises the DDoS risk? By someone directly,
i.e. without any VxLAN encapsulation, sending a BFD packet to the VTEP IP ?

Q3: for the demultiplexing of incoming BFD packets (section 6.1) you write

   [...] For such packets, the BFD session MUST be identified
   using the inner headers, i.e., the source IP and the destination IP
   present in the IP header carried by the payload of the VXLAN
   encapsulated packet.  The VNI of the packet SHOULD be used to derive
   interface-related information for demultiplexing the packet.

I understand the "MUST" for the source IP, to differentiate a session with
VTEP A from the session with VTEP B. Why is the destination IP, i.e. my local
IP, of relevance?  Support for multiple VTEP?
But my main question is, why the VNI (or related information like the local
VLAN or VFI) is only a "SHOULD" ?  In section 4 you say

   [...] Separate BFD
   sessions can be established between the VTEPs (IP1 and IP2) for
   monitoring each of the VXLAN tunnels (VNI 100 and 200).

How would I separate these BFD sessions when src/dst IP are the same?

Finally a nitpick, you write in section 6:

   The UDP destination port and the TTL of the inner Ethernet frame MUST
   be validated

We all understand what you mean but I first stumbled: Ethernet frames have no
TTL. You mean (of course) the inner IP packet - why not writing it? ;-)

Anyway, overall very useful standard (as you see from my comments, there are
feature roadmaps coming ;-)

Thanks & Regards,
Marc