[RTG-DIR] Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-vrrp-p2mp-bfd-08

Emmanuel Baccelli via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 12 March 2024 14:46 UTC

From: Emmanuel Baccelli via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: rtg-dir@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-rtgwg-vrrp-p2mp-bfd.all@ietf.org, rtgwg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:46:27 -0700
Subject: [RTG-DIR] Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-vrrp-p2mp-bfd-08

Reviewer: Emmanuel Baccelli
Review result: Has Nits

Hello,

I've been selected as Routing Directorate (early) reviewer for this draft.

I have a few nits (nothing major) and a couple of suggestions.

Some of my comments might come through as pedantic -- mostly due to my
superficial prior knowledge concerning VRRP!

# Abstract:

suggested change/clarification
"...sub-second convergence of the Active router and..."
=> "...sub-second convergence for the process determining the Active router
and..." or something equivalent.

# Section 1:

suggested change/clarification
"this document demonstrates how... can enable faster detection..."
=> "this document specifies fast transition to a new Active router, upon
detection of..." or something equivalent.

# Section 2:

"Supporting sub-second mode... in the data plane may prove challenging"
=> Would be best to hint at the main reason why (costs in terms of control
traffic overhead?).

"BFD already has many implementationq based on HW"
=> Cite at least one implementation, if possible?

# Section 3:

My Discriminator => cite RFC5880 upon first use of this term in the doc ;)

"... starts transmitting BFD control packets with VRID as a source IP address
and ..." => it is unclear how VRID (1 Byte) can be used as IP address. Can you
rephrase/clarify?

"... when a backup router detects failure of the Active router, ..."
=> using which mechanism/RFC ? I suggest citing it explicitly

"... it reevaluates its role as VRID."
=> it is unclear how this happens exactly. If this is intentionally left
unspecified as implementation-dependent, I suggest to say it explicitly in the
doc.

"... the new Active router MUST select My Discriminator and..."
=> it is unclear which discriminator is meant here. Do you mean the value
locally allocated (as it was still Backup router)?

# Section 5:

"... to accelerate detecting a failure that affects VRRP"
=> it is unclear what in the doc accelerates *detecting* a failure. I suggest a
rephrase such as "...to accelerate transition to a new Active router upon
detection of BFD failure" or something equivalent.