RE: Application-Aware Networking (APN) focused interim

"Pengshuping (Peng Shuping)" <pengshuping@huawei.com> Fri, 28 May 2021 03:08 UTC

From: "Pengshuping (Peng Shuping)" <pengshuping@huawei.com>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>
CC: "apn@ietf.org" <apn@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Application-Aware Networking (APN) focused interim
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 03:08:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.153.194.250]

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your insights shared and comments although these comments seem to be for the presentations in the last IETF and the old versions of the drafts. Thanks to the feedback we received from the presentations last time, we have further updated the drafts and narrowed down the scope.

The main changes we have made to the drafts are as follows:
1. We have removed the application-side solution, only keep the network-side solution. This should have solved your concerns. Basically we are only focusing on the network.
2. The APN attribute is acquired based on the existing information in the packet header such as 5-tuple and QinQ (S-VLAN and C-VLAN) at the edge devices of the APN domain, added to the data packets along with the tunnel encapsulation.
3. When the packets leave the APN domain, the attribute will be removed together with the tunnel encapsulation header.
4. APN aims to apply various policies in different nodes along a network path onto a traffic flow altogether, for example, at the headend to steer into corresponding path, at the midpoint to collect corresponding performance measurement data, and at the service function to execute particular policies.

The latest version of the drafts:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-apn-framework-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-peng-apn-scope-gap-analysis-02