RE: draft-ietf-rtgwg-spf-uloop-pb-statement

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Tue, 18 April 2017 16:41 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
CC: RTGWG <rtgwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-rtgwg-spf-uloop-pb-statement
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 16:41:02 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]

Les,

> From: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) [mailto:ginsberg@cisco.com]  > Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:56 PM
>
 > Bruno -
 >
 > The discussion here is a pragmatic one.

That would be good indeed.

 > As draft-ietf-rtgwg-backoff-algo is a Standards track document the implication of it becoming
 > an RFC is that everyone SHOULD/MUST implement it.

No.
I'm not aware that everyone SHOULD/MUST implement all IETF standard track RFC.

 > Given that today vendors have implemented their own variations of SPF backoff, in order to
 > justify requiring the use of a standardized algorithm it MUST be demonstrated that it makes
 > a significant difference when used in real world deployments with timer values that are
 > consistent with existing deployments.

You are mixing implementation consideration with IETF considerations.
>From an IETF standpoint, in order to maximize the chance to have all (link state) IGP node to compute their SPF at the same time and using the same LSDB, we need nodes to have a consistent SPF delay algo.
>From an implementation standpoint, we this draft has 3 implementations.

> I think we agree on the following:
 >
 > 1)For a  single topology change only the initial delay comes into play, so no benefits are
 > expected from having a standardized algorithm

I agree for a single link failure.
I disagree for other single failure, e.g. node failures and SRLG failures where multiple link state messages are involved from multiple nodes. Depending on differences in detection time, distance from the failure, flooding implementations long the way, SPF delay timers (..) multiple SPF may be involved for a single topological change.

(by "topology change" I assume that you mean the real/physical topology of the network, note the possibly N topological change that the IGP can see, depending on the configured SPF delays)

 > 2)For multiple topology changes in a short period of time (i.e. within SHORT_SPF_DELAY as
 > defined in the draft) the benefits of syncing the start of a second SPF in the control plane
 > may be dwarfed by the time it takes to update the forwarding.
 >
 > In all the studies I am familiar with, the contribution of control plane work (routing update
 > processing, SPF, RIB update) is under 30% of the total time required for convergence. The
 > remainder is the time it takes to actually update the forwarding plane.

As already stated, I agree for some specific cases (e.g. first SPF) but not in the general case:

1) FIB update time
IMHO, the reference person for IGP Fast Convergence in the industry would be Clarence Filsfils. As a matter of luck for this discussion, both of you are in same organization and working on the same plateform, so this would ease similar point of view.
- BTW, you can note that he co-auteurs this draft.
- IMHO, a reasonable paper on this would be https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0deb/57cc07a36cf1ea5ba0b3482bf14f2e8bb60d.pdf (also from Clarence).

Note also that the paper is a bit old, and in the meantime both hardware and software have improved. But even at this time, FIB update time for 1000 IGP prefixes is/was around 300 ms (pecentil 90).
Note that what matter are the "important" IGP prefixes which attract the customer's traffic. In short, this means the loopback of the router (used as BGP Next-Hop). So here, I'm taking the example of a IGP with 1000 nodes, which is a significant scaling.

2) SPF delay
A presented in slide 6 of the slides presented in IETF 90 (https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/90/slides/slides-90-rtgwg-2.pdf ) SPF delay can easily be higher than 300ms.

 > So, what I am asking is that BEFORE the draft becomes an RFC that real world data be
 > gathered demonstrating the benefits of the standardized algorithm in the cases where it
 > might matter.

I'm not aware that RTGWG WG requires deployment data are a prerequisite for RFC publication. Even implementations is not a pre-requisite (this has been discussed by the chairs a few month ago), but here, we do have 3 implementations.
That being said, IMHO the above data is real.

> I think the right set of test cases would include:
 >
 >   o Timers in the range recommended by the draft  - but also consistent with fast
 > convergence (INITIAL delay sub 50 ms, SHORT_DELAY on the order of 100 ms or less)
 >   o Multiple topology changes which trigger multiple SPFs
 >   o A mixture of forwarding plane updates speeds in the affected nodes in the network
 >   o Comparison of results using all standardized algorithm and a mixture of vendor specific
 > algorithms
 >
 > Based on these results we can then determine whether it is beneficial to progress the draft.

Let me restate a question that you have not answered so far:
- Do we agree that having different SPF delay algo across one network, is not a feature but a bug?

--Bruno

 >    Les

Thank you.