RE: IPR Disclosure: Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ)'s Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-rtgwg-mrt-frr-architecture-01

"Retana, Alvaro" <alvaro.retana@hp.com> Wed, 20 June 2012 16:45 UTC

From: "Retana, Alvaro" <alvaro.retana@hp.com>
To: "curtis@occnc.com" <curtis@occnc.com>, "Gabor.Sandor.Enyedi@ericsson.com" <Gabor.Sandor.Enyedi@ericsson.com>, "akatlas@juniper.net" <akatlas@juniper.net>, "rkebler@juniper.net" <rkebler@juniper.net>, "Andras.Csaszar@ericsson.com" <Andras.Csaszar@ericsson.com>, "mike@mshand.org.uk" <mike@mshand.org.uk>, "maciek@bgp.nu" <maciek@bgp.nu>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "stbryant@cisco.com" <stbryant@cisco.com>, "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>, "White, Russell" <riwhite@verisign.com>
Subject: RE: IPR Disclosure: Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ)'s Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-rtgwg-mrt-frr-architecture-01
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:44:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [15.217.50.15]
Cc: "patent.licensing@ericsson.com" <patent.licensing@ericsson.com>

As a reminder, having an IPR claim does not disqualify a draft from advancing in the IETF, being adopted by a working group or from eventually becoming a standard.  It just represents one more item to be considered by the working group.

http://www.ietf.org/ipr/policy.html

To help in the evaluation, the following link is to the patent application itself (provided by the authors):

http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2010055408&recNum=1&docAn=IB2009007467&queryString=FP:%28PCT/IB2009/007467%29&maxRec=1

As a chair, my job is to remind the WG of the IETF policy -- the decision of whether we should continue to work on this item is to be made by the individuals participating in the WG.  Because the concern expressed by Curtis has come up several times (from different people), including at the meeting in Taipei, I would like to hear other opinions specific to the impact of the terms of the IPR filing with respect to the architecture proposed.

Thanks!

Alvaro.