RE: fn-transport/ipfrr drafts

András Császár <Andras.Csaszar@ericsson.com> Wed, 06 April 2011 12:19 UTC

From: András Császár <Andras.Csaszar@ericsson.com>
To: "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 14:20:45 +0200
Subject: RE: fn-transport/ipfrr drafts
acceptlanguage: hu-HU, en-US

Hi,

Probably you are more interested in the opinion of the rest of the community, but anyway:

a) yes, especially for those applications that target quick changing of active dataplane routes to alternative routes when something happens in the network (as for now this could be FRR, where event=failure). It could be also very useful in split DP-CP environments (such as FORCES and OpenFlow), where event specific alternative routes could be activated by forwarding elements without consulting the CP.

b) I'm not an author of the ospf-fn draft but in my opinion it could be useful in those cases when regular OSPF flooding is a noticable part of the overall convergence. This may be the case with modern routers where the existing convergence bottlenecks are greatly reduced (SPF calc is not long anymore, RIB-to-FIB download bottleneck is getting optimised by incremental updates and a few updates causing many route updates in the FIB)

c) We should come back definitely with more numbers on (copy/pasting from the email I just sent responding to Curtis):
- What is amount of information needed to prepare backup routes for different local and non-local failures?
- How does this pre-calculation stress the CP?
- How does the CP-to-DP pre-downloading of this backup information stress a node?
- How fast can a linecard in practice change the information in its FIB using this local backup database?

Some initial estimations you can find in the Appendix of the ipfrr-fn draft.

An important note: You don't have to download alternative routes for each failure for each destination! Only those that matter:
1. Failure is on shortest path towards the destination
2. Failure results in route change

This is much less.

Will come back with more numbers.

Kind regards,