Tunnel Design Philosophy

"Aijun Wang" <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Tue, 13 October 2015 05:59 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
To: rtgwg@ietf.org, netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Tunnel Design Philosophy
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 13:58:56 +0800
X-Coremail-Antispam: 1U3129KBjvJXoWxury7Gry5Kr47Jr4kZw1DKFg_yoW5Gw18pa 45WrW5trnYya45Cr1fZ3WUA3WrZ3s8t395CFnxCw1jyay5XFyIgw4UKr1rZFW7Ary8JwsY vrWUZ3sxX3W5JrJanT9S1TB71UUUUU7v73VFW2AGmfu7bjvjm3AaLaJ3UjIYCTnIWjQlb7 Iv0xC_Jr1l5I8CrVAYj202j2C_Xr0_Wr1l5I8CrVAqjxCE14ACF2xKxwAqx4xG64kEw2xG 04xIwI0_Gr0_Xr1l5I8CrVCF0I0E4I0vr24lb4IE77IF4wAFF20E14v26r1j6r4UM7C26x Cjj4IEI4klw4CSwwAFxVCaYxvI4VCIwcAKzIAtMcIj6x8ErcxFaVAv8VW8AwC2zVAF1VAY 17CE14v26r1Y6r170xZFpf9x0JUAb18UUUUU=

Hi, RTGWGer and NETMODer:

Here I want to ask for advices from any expert that is familiar with the
usages and designs of various tunnel technologies that are wide deployed
within the network.

What is the principle and philosophy about the design of Yang Model for
these tunnel technologies?

Currently, there are several drafts that has touches this area, but there
are some confusions about their designs, for example:

1. Can we organize these tunnel related-Yang models under one common tree?

2. What is the relationship between the tunnel related-Yang model and the
interface Yang Model?

Our opinion is that Yang Model is one design tool/language used to standard
the interface between the service provider and device(Device Yang Model),
and between the service provider and their customer(Service Yang Model),
then the design of them should from top to down, find the general aspects of
every model branch first and augment them with specific technology later.
This seems more common to all the Model/Object design language.

So, for above two questions, we recommend to design one general
tunnel-related Yang model that augments from the interface Yang model, and
expand to it to cover the various specific tunnel technologies. Doing so has
the following benefits:

1. we can focus first the common characteristic of tunnel technology,
especially the static tunnel technologies(dynamic tunnel for example MPLS-TE
tunnel is the exception)

2. the appearance of the tunnel on router/switch are all one kind of
interface. If it augments from the interface tunnel, it can inherit many
variables of the interface Yang model.(several drafts have shown their
overlapping design of these variables.)

So, how about your opinion and the reason to do them?

Wish can hear more valuable suggestions on the design of the Tunnel-related
Yang Model.

Current available drafts about the Tunnel -related Yang Model are bellows:

1. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l2tpext-keyed-v6-tunnel-yang-00

2. http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wwz-netmod-yang-tunnel-cfg/

3. http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wilton-netmod-intf-vlan-yang/

4. http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-rtgwg-ipipv4-tunnel-yang/

5. http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-rtgwg-utunnel-yang/

6. https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-00.txt( This draft is
one exception, and seems can't be generalized with other five drafts)

Best Regards.

Aijun Wang

China Telecom Corporation Limited Beijing Research Institute

Intelligent Network Product Line