legalese versus plain english

JC Dill <jcdill@vo.cnchost.com> Mon, 19 June 2000 05:54 UTC

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:20:16 -0700
Sender: IETF-RUN <IETF-RUN@mailbag.cps.intel.com>
From: JC Dill <jcdill@vo.cnchost.com>
Subject: legalese versus plain english
To: IETF-RUN@mailbag.cps.intel.com

Sigh.

How do we reconcile the legal issue of "trespass does not mean theft" with
our need to strongly and clearly state that unauthorized use of an ISP's
servers (or relay rape of private business servers) is in violation of many
various municipality laws and can cause the spammer serious legal
consequences?  I just don't see how:

spamming often constitutes an
 >             unlawful use of private property and is actionable
 >             as trespass to chattels

meets our need to scare spammers away from doing this illegal act.  The
legalese way of saying this isn't going to get through the brain of anyone
who is contemplating this illegal act.

I'd appreciate some ideas, as my legal resources are pretty time
constrained and can't really be utilized repeatedly until we have a better
idea how we might be wording this to meet our needs, and their legal viewpoint.

jc