Re: [sacm] IM Issue #27 - Selecting an Information Model Representation

"Wolfkiel, Joseph L CIV DISA ID (US)" <joseph.l.wolfkiel.civ@mail.mil> Tue, 01 December 2015 14:44 UTC

From: "Wolfkiel, Joseph L CIV DISA ID (US)" <joseph.l.wolfkiel.civ@mail.mil>
To: Chris Inacio <inacio@cert.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 14:42:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [214.21.44.13]
Cc: Gunnar Engelbach <gunnar.engelbach@threatguard.com>, Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@gmail.com>, "Haynes, Dan" <dhaynes@mitre.org>, "sacm@ietf.org" <sacm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sacm] IM Issue #27 - Selecting an Information Model Representation

That's a hard problem.  It's one we're struggling with currently.  We have a significant set of external "authoritative" sources that maintain lists of names that we need to synchronize with and/or extend with additional child information.  Since the current system wasn't designed to deal with that, we have some customers embedding work-arounds into the name enumerations. For example the Navy is embedding their Unit IDs at the end of the descriptive names for their organizations and our internal users at DISA are embedding the FISMA-reporting system IDs into the accreditation boundary system names they create.  I have a new release of the system in development that offers the ability to synchronize with "authoritative sources" through imports of the names from the external systems, so it can re-expose them through the standard web service.  It's my intent to make the lookup tables available for download as a Rosetta Stone equivalent.  I have had something similar in mind for software names since we have 3 systems deployed now that collect OS, software, and patch names in overlapping populations and return different names for the same software items.

It becomes even more difficult when there are multiple, potentially conflicting authoritative sources for a given name type and you may be required to mediate back to any of them.  A good example is the ISO country and state codes.  Depending on your preference, they supply 2 and 3-letter abbreviations that are overlapping, yet different representations for geographic enclosed spaces--and that's from the same source.  We have to extend those further to address counties, cities, DoD installations, buildings, etc, but the ISO codes may change over time, so any extensions we build to them will have to have some robust, automatic business logic implemented governing how they will react to additions, deletions, mergers, and display name changes.

The only hope I have for keeping the system reasonably consistent and up to date is that our users depend on it heavily and have the ability to fix incorrect names and name relationships.  Once we get everyone trained and implement the governance through technical controls instead of administrative controls, I'm hoping it will successfully leverage a large user base to be self-correcting, much like Wikipedia.

This does point to a potential problem for interoperability WRT large, dynamic enumerations like organization, location, and system name enumerations that are constantly changing.  I expect SACM will want to push the solution to maintaining and interoperating based on those types of enumerations further down the road, but hopefully in a thoughtful way that positions us for success when they are worked.  I see the near term challenge being with enumerations like the ones I listed below (with the exceptions of organization and location).  Much of what we do in the computer security world depends on characterization of devices that is used for targeting compliance checks, making access control decisions, establishing control requirements, aggregating and organizing data, and other functions.  If we don't have some common set of enumerations maintained and assignable by humans, then we can only commonly manage devices through directly discoverable properties, which is significantly less powerful.

Joseph L. Wolfkiel
SCM Engineering Lead
DISA ID52
Fort Meade DISA Acquisiton Bldg Cube A4A58E
Work: (301) 225-8820
Gov Cell: (571) 814-8231
Joseph.L.Wolfkiel.civ@mail.mil