Re: [sacm] Milestones for recharter - FEEDBACK needed ASAP

Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de> Thu, 16 November 2017 03:23 UTC

To: sacm@ietf.org
From: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 04:22:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [sacm] Milestones for recharter - FEEDBACK needed ASAP

Hi Adam,

comments inline.

Viele Grüße,

Henk

On 11/15/2017 03:09 PM, Adam Montville wrote:
> Chris & Karen,
>
> Thanks for sending this out. Here are some thoughts that Bill and I have
> on getting milestones built out from our possible work items. I've
> organized this note by work item in the order they appear in our draft
> charter presently under consideration. Before getting into the
> per-work-item notes, I thought it would be good to list the drafts we
> think could be created in pursuit of fulfilling our charter.
>
> ===========
>
> *Draft Suggestions (without timelines):*
> Given all of the above, the following could be milestone items (i.e.
> drafts):
>
>   * Endpoint identification and targeting
>   * Endpoint element description
>   * ECP
>   * SWIMA
>   * Criteria/evaluation language
>   * Datastream over transfer mechanism
>   * ECP over transfer mechanism
>   * YANG-push over transfer mechanism
>   * IPFIX over transfer mechanism
>   * CoSWID
>   * General purpose OS posture collection best practice
>   * Web server posture collection best practice
>   * Database server posture collection best practice
>   * ROLIE software descriptor
>   * ROLIE configuration checklist information type
>   * ROLIE configuration descriptor
>   * ROLIE vulnerability information descriptor
>
> Other drafts:
>
>   * Terminology
>   * Architecture / data interchange api/concept of operations
>   *
>     Transfer protocol(s) - spring 2019 (PT-TLS/XMPP-Grid/others)
>   *
>     Lang/api for developing guidance - fall 2019 (orchestration)
>
> (These last three may be useful for supporting development of the drafts
> previously listed.)
>
> ============
>
> *First Possible Work Item:*
> "Define a way to provide three types of guidance to the correct SACM
> collectors: 1) Which target endpoints to collect from and, 2) what to
> collect from these target endpoints, and 3) How quickly after an
> attribute change information must be collected."
>
> First, we have the opinion that the third type of guidance presumes a
> specific solution and on that basis should be considered for removal (I
> know this might be late).

"Transfer protocol(s) - spring 2019 (PT-TLS/XMPP-Grid/others)" seem(s)
to be able to provide these features? Respectively, see 2nd work item
below: "define extensions".

> Second, given that this is an item to /provide/ three types of guidance
> to the correct SACM collectors, we need at least one delivery mechanism.
> It seems that ROLIE or XMPP-Grid could fulfill this need. We feel that
> there is probably a role for both.
>
> Third, this work item also implies that we have some manner of:
>
>  1. Endpoint identification and targeting
Target Endpoint Characterization?

>  2. Endpoint element description
Target Endpoint Profiles?

Both imply the definition of corresponding repository capabilities, I
think (maybe because we just created a PoC imperative guidance repo SACM
component at the Hackathon).

> *Second Possible Work Item:*
> Define an extension of IETF NEA [https://ietf.org/wg/concluded/nea.html]
> to collect and deliver information about firmware, operating systems,
> and software installed on an endpoint.
>
> Here we feel that ECP (PT-TLS), along with SWIMA (software IDs over
> PT-TLS), provides the NEA extension.
>
> *Third Possible Work Item:*
> Describe a criteria language capable of being evaluated against endpoint
> posture information to produce a standardized result.
>
> This is TBD, but Dave and Stephen expressed interest in this item at
> IETF 99, and we assume that interest persists.

Might need more specifica about the data at rest? Not sure if in scope,
though.

> *Fourth Possible Work Item:*
> Define a control plane function to enable the discovery and
> orchestration between devices that can provide the requisite information
> sought by posture collectors, posture evaluators or both.
>
> The more we read this one the more we were confused by it. The intent
> seems to mean how information sources flow through the transfer
> mechanism (i.e. XMPP-Grid). From this perspective, we may need to define
> how many information sources are transferred over the given mechanism
> (i.e. XMPP-Grid).
>
>   * Datastream (XCCDF+OVAL, etc.)
>   * ECP (which may end up being more than SWIMA)
>   * YANG-push
>   * IPFIX
>   * Etc.

This seems to be a mix of transfer methods and payload definitions? In
regard to negotiation/selection of the corresponding data plane streams
there are always (at least) the two options of either an intermediary
(e.g. a broker) or a direct end-2-end data plane flow (which could also
be brokered/orchestrated).

> *Fifth Possible Work Item:*
> Define a method of expressing software metadata that is suitable for use
> by constrained devices including a CBOR-based format derived from the
> ISO/IEC 19770-2 Software Identification (SWID) tag standard.
>
> This is, to us, clearly CoSWID.
>
> *Sixth Possible Work Item:*
> Define best practices for the collection of posture information from
> endpoints and its delivery to a collector, from which it can be
> distributed using the SACM messaging standards.
>
> For network devices, this has something like Frank and crew have cooked
> up, with the network device baselines (we'll reserve our comments on use
> of the term baseline for another discussion). But, this also implies
> that there are more such things to consider for things like Web servers,
> database servers, general purpose operating systems, real-time operating
> systems, IoT devices, and so on.

I maybe wouldn't call this bas... oh, nvm, reserved for another
discussion ;)