[SAFE] Linux implementation of STUN Control

"Christian Dickmann" <mail@christian-dickmann.de> Wed, 10 October 2007 22:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 00:08:45 +0200
From: Christian Dickmann <mail@christian-dickmann.de>
To: safe@ietf.org
Subject: [SAFE] Linux implementation of STUN Control

Hi all,

I wanted to make you aware of a Linux-based implementation of STUN Control I have been working on recently. It uses the open source STUN implementation coming with NICE [1] and extends it to support controlling the Linux NAT functionality. In order to interface with the NAT functionality, I created a Linux kernel module which does the actual job of extending NAT binding lifetimes.

I created a webpage that describes the structure and some implementation details (mostly Linux specifics). It also shows the nested-NAT discovery and reduced-refreshes use-cases in action. Take a look at:
http://www.christian-dickmann.de/stun.php

I am still working on adding things like the BOOTNONCE, testing stability, documentation and tying up some loose ends. Once this is done, I plan on releasing the full source. At the moment, parts of the current source code are available on the webpage as a patch to NICE.

Overall, I can already say that implementing STUN Control (at least the Outside-In mechanism) is not a lot of work and pretty much straight forward.

Best regards,
Christian Dickmann
University of Göttingen

[1] http://nice.freedesktop.org/wiki/