Re: [Sdn] new draft on SDN for DDoS mitigation

"King, Daniel" <d.king@lancaster.ac.uk> Fri, 28 August 2015 09:05 UTC

From: "King, Daniel" <d.king@lancaster.ac.uk>
To: "patricklismore@gmail.com" <patricklismore@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 09:05:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [213.205.251.136]
x-iss-local-domain: 1
Cc: "sdn@irtf.org" <sdn@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Sdn] new draft on SDN for DDoS mitigation

Hi Patrick,

All IRTF/IETF participation is very welcome!

There are often differences between contributing to an IRTF Research Group (RG) and an IETF Working Group (WG). In the SDN RG we tend to encourage initial discussion via the SDN mailing list or an RG presentation to aid formulation of the research challenge and setting context and/or scope, rather than the typical IETF approach of submitting a 00 Internet-Draft (I-D). Then if the topic/work merits further investigation an Internet-Draft would be a fine way forward.

If you followed the recent SDN RG session at IETF 93 we had a dedicated session on SDN Security:

https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/agenda/agenda-93-sdnrg

Identifying a few SDN use cases and subsequent Security requirements would be a great way to help initiate and steer SDN RG list discussion. A reasonable output could then be an SDN Security I-D that summarises the challenges and available methods/technologies for mitigating Security risks and issues. The I-D could also identify gaps and possible candidate solutions via existing IETF WG protocols and mechanisms, recent WG proposals, or indeed the need for something entirely new (seeding a bar-BOF, further discussions, etc.).

BR, Dan.