Re: [Sdn] new draft on SDN for DDoS mitigation

Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> Wed, 26 August 2015 22:35 UTC

From: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
To: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, "sdn@irtf.org" <sdn@irtf.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 22:35:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.192.11.236]
Cc: "gclark mti-systems.com" <gclark@mti-systems.com>, Justin Dailey <Justin@mti-systems.com>
Subject: Re: [Sdn] new draft on SDN for DDoS mitigation

Eddy, et al,

I think the content provided by this draft will be very useful in preventing junk and malicious traffic taking over precious network resources and providing a more effective way to protect applications from DoS/DDoS attacks.

A few comments to the draft:

-       When applications or end points (Customer sites) detect any kind of attack and need to inform ISPs to block those traffic,  the packets content might be using private addresses, local Tenant Identifiers, etc, while the filters for the ISP ingress may  be using "public addresses".

-       Figure 1: The Filter Management Apps is from customer side. The "filter rules" or the commands to "ISF Sub-Controller" may need more than what OpenFlow (e.g. OF1.5) can provide because those rules/commands might need to specify the environmental conditions that are not in the packets, e.g. Time of the Day, a specific event, customer ID, etc. Maybe some other methods should be explored, such as Open-Config, or OF-config, or others

-       The requests from applications and end points may be from different administrative domains than the ISP, therefore it is necessary to have pre-agreed format to pass "Filter rules". The recent IETF initiative (Interface to Network Security Functions - I2NSF is intended to specify the standardized format for specifying rules to security functions. See the latest charter: https://sites.google.com/site/interface2nsf/home ). I see your draft provide a really good input to I2NSF.

Linda