Re: [Seamoby] Confirmation of Concensus on Completing Seamoby Work

"James Kempf" <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com> Fri, 21 March 2003 19:16 UTC

From: James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
To: Jukka MJ Manner <jmanner@cs.Helsinki.FI>
Cc: seamoby@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Seamoby] Confirmation of Concensus on Completing Seamoby Work
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:14:39 -0700
Sender: seamoby-admin@ietf.org

Jukka,

For CARD, the problem is that if the FMIP prehandover information signaling is
not specified as the vehicle, CARD must specify a separate protocol that
performs a substantially identical function. This is in direct violation of RFC
1958 Principle 3.2 (and I quote):

       3.2 If there are several ways of doing the same thing, choose one.
   If a previous design, in the Internet context or elsewhere, has
   successfully solved the same problem, choose the same solution unless
   there is a good technical reason not to.  Duplication of the same
   protocol functionality should be avoided as far as possible, without
   of course using this argument to reject improvements.

Using the FMIP prehandover signaling does not mean that FMIP must be used for
handover. One could use GPRS or any other protocol for that purpose.

With respect to CT, its a bit murkier, since the proposal is to directly use the
FMIP handover signaling (as opposed to the prehandover signaling) as transport
for the context and for the signaling from the Mobile Node to trigger the
context transfer.
One way we could finesse this is to define CT as an extension mechanism, then
define in an appendix how it would apply to FMIP. This would avoid the problem
of tying the base design to FMIP, while still ensuring it would work well with
FMIP.

            jak