Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-housley-ct-keypackage-receipt-n-error-05

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> Mon, 02 December 2013 23:26 UTC

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:25:57 -0500
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, draft-housley-ct-keypackage-receipt-n-error.all@tools.ietf.org, jhutz@cmu.edu
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-housley-ct-keypackage-receipt-n-error-05

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 17:14 -0500, Russ Housley wrote:

> > The document defines a long list of error codes with the comment “Expect additional error codes” without specifying a mechanism for additional error codes to be defined. It also says that there are no IANA considerations, but I would assume that IANA would operate the registry for things like the error codes listed here. If not IANA, where would the definitive registry be?
>
> I do not think that an IANA registry is the way to go here.  An
> additional specification is needed to publish the ASN.1 module with the
> additional values.  The ASN.1 module in this specification includes:
>
> 	         ... -- Expect additional error codes  -- }
>
> so that receipt of a value in this list does not cause a decode error.

So, the key point here is that defining more error codes requires
publishing a new version of the module, which is basically a linear
progression -- each new version will necessarily incorporate all codes
defined in previous versions, and there is no opportunity to "plug in"
additional error codes in specifications that merely extend this one,
rather than revising it.

I think that's fine, provided there is a way to define and transmit
additional error codes for unanticipated uses, site or vendor use, and
so on.  In this case, that comes from the other branch of
ErrorCodeChoice, which allows any OID to be used as an error code.

-- Jeff