Re: [secdir] SECDIR Review of draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19

S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com> Wed, 11 September 2013 13:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 06:22:32 -0700
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>, draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
From: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Cc: spfbis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] SECDIR Review of draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19

Hi Phillip,

I am responding to the comment about DKIM only and wait for the
SPFBIS WG to address the other issues.

At 05:07 11-09-2013, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
>ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
>IESG.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
>like any other last call comments.
>
>The document has been produced as part of a proposal to upgrade SPF
>to standards track recognizing the state of deployment experience.
>
>Minor issues.
>
>1.1.3.  MAIL FROM Definition
>
>I found this section completely opaque and very confusing. It should
>not be necessary to hunt through other specs to find a definition.
>Particularly since the referenced specs do not give an explicit
>definition for the term as used and the references point to the
>whole spec rather than a particular section.

I am commenting on the following paragraph only:

>The Security Considerations section is adequate for the purpose
>except that no mention is made anywhere in the specification about
>DKIM and how a mail receiver should interpret presence of DKIM and
>SPF policy at the same time. This is a legitimate concern since DKIM
>is already a standards track proposal and SPF is only now being
>promoted to Standards Track. Thus the SPF document should address
>the question of dual use.

There was a BoF at the last IETF meeting to discuss proposals about
how to interpret the presence of DKIM and/or SPF policy at the same
time ( http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/minutes/minutes-87-dmarc
).  The dual use can be addressed as part of the DMARC effort.