Re: [secdir] [Fwd: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mps-02.txt]

"Bont, Frans de" <frans.de.bont@philips.com> Wed, 10 June 2009 07:53 UTC

From: "Bont, Frans de" <frans.de.bont@philips.com>
To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:51:53 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, "Schmidt , Malte" <malte.schmidt@dolby.com>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, Ralph, Stefan Döhla <stefan.doehla@iis.fraunhofer.de>, Sperschneider <ralph.sperschneider@iis.fraunhofer.de>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "avt-chairs@ietf.org" <avt-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] [Fwd: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mps-02.txt]

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your review, we will update the draft accordingly.

With respect to your 'covert channel' comment we want to make
the following remark.

RFC 3640 says:
> However, it is possible to inject non-compliant MPEG streams (Audio,
>    Video, and Systems) so that the receiver/decoder's buffers are
>    overloaded, which might compromise the functionality of the receiver
>   or even crash it.

This is a general remark that hold for all audio/video formats, this
is not different for the format described in this draft.

The mentioned 'covert channel', in ISO/IEC 14496-3 (MPEG-4 Audio)
implemented by means of the extension_payload(), is defined as a
backward compatible mechanism for transport of extension data inside AAC
payloads. Streams using this mechanism are fully compliant MPEG-4 Audio
streams and code points, the extension identifiers in ISO/IEC 14496-3,
that are not supported by a decoder are gracefully skipped.

Best regards,
Frans