Re: [secdir] [Fwd: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mps-02.txt]

Stefan Döhla <stefan.doehla@iis.fraunhofer.de> Wed, 10 June 2009 16:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:51:30 +0200
From: Stefan Döhla <stefan.doehla@iis.fraunhofer.de>
To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, "Schmidt , Malte" <malte.schmidt@dolby.com>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, Ralph Sperschneider <ralph.sperschneider@iis.fraunhofer.de>, "Bont, Frans de" <frans.de.bont@philips.com>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "avt-chairs@ietf.org" <avt-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] [Fwd: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mps-02.txt]

Hi Dan,

thanks for pointing us into the right direction. Normally, SRTP is
recommended in RTP payload formats so that this "hitch-hiking" is not
possible for the RTP-streamed phase in the end-to-end model.

Would an additional sentence in the spirit of this

   The AAC audio codec includes an extension mechanism to transmit extra
   data within a stream that is gracefully skipped by decoders that do
   not support this extra data.  This covert channel may be used to
   transmit unwanted data in an otherwise valid stream and it is hence
   recommended to use SRTP [RFC3711] for stream encryption,
   authentication, and integrity check.

help? The overall end-to-end integrity check is probably out-of-scope
for IETF matters, since we probably cannot stop an encoder to add
proprietary data to the stream that is e.g. only understood by decoders
that conform to a specific application standard etc.

Something like the proposed sentence above is btw. already part of the
document - but it just refers to the weak RTP encryption.

Cheers
- Stefan

--
Dipl.-Ing. Stefan Döhla     | Email: stefan.doehla@iis.fraunhofer.de
Multimedia Transport        | Phone: +49 (0)9131 776 6042 (!NEW!)