Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs-11

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 10 September 2013 01:20 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 20:20:25 -0500
To: Carl Wallace <carl@redhoundsoftware.com>
Cc: secdir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs.all@tools.ietf.org, jouni.nospam@gmail.com, "lionel.morand@orange.com Morand" <lionel.morand@orange.com>, iesg@ietf.org, "bclaise@cisco.com Claise" <bclaise@cisco.com>, Eric McMurry <emcmurry@computer.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-dime-overload-reqs-11

On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Carl Wallace <carl@redhoundsoftware.com> wrote:

> On 9/9/13 8:41 PM, "Eric McMurry" <emcmurry@computer.org> wrote:

[...]

>> I'm a bit lost on how requirement 10 would relate to this though.  Can
>> you please elaborate a bit on the question?
>
> Requirement 31 states:
>
> "The solution MUST allow Diameter nodes to indicate overload with
> sufficient granularity to allow clients to take action based on the
> overloaded resources without unreasonably forcing available capacity to go
> unused.  The solution MUST support specification of overload information
> with granularities of at least "Diameter node", "realm", and "Diameter
> application", and MUST allow extensibility for others to be added in the
> future."
>
> Requirement 10 states:
>
> "Consumers of overload information MUST be able to determine when the
> overload condition improves or ends"
>
> My question was, must consumers of overload information be able to
> determine when the overload condition <for some specified granularity>
> improves or ends?   Requirement 10 seems to be addressing a type of action
> a client may take based on granular information provided under requirement
> 31.

The intent was that the overload condition has granularity. That is, the overloaded node indicates an overload condition with some granularity, and later ends it. The act of ending doesn't change the granularity. We don't have an explicit requirement to be able to change the granularity of an existing condition. (Although we do not prevent a solution from offering that ability--but I suspect if the solution did that, it would involve multiple concurrent overload conditions, or ending one condition and starting another.)

> More or less the same question applied to 24 as well, maybe not as an
> action following overload as in requirement 10 but perhaps as an action
> with similar granular needs.

Since 24 talks of "load" rather than "overload", we assumed your question concerned whether "load" needed the same or similar granularities to "overload". Did you mean something different?

Thanks!

Ben.