Re: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-ipfix-mib-variable-export.

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> Thu, 19 November 2015 15:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 16:34:17 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
To: Paul Aitken <paitken@brocade.com>
Cc: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, draft-ietf-ipfix-mib-variable-export.all@tools.ietf.org, IETF Security Directorate <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-ipfix-mib-variable-export.

See my latest suggestion which adds a bunch of references to the third
paragraph - which was the original request of the security directorate
reviewer.

    However, if the exporter is implemented as an SNMP manager
    accessing an SNMP agent, it MUST authenticate itself to the SNMP
    agent [RFC3414], [RFC5591], [RFC5592], RFC6353] and the SNMP agent
    MUST enforce SNMP access control rules [RFC3415] as required by
    the SNMP architecture [RFC 3411].

The additional sentence is somewhat unclear:

    [...] An Exporter MUST NOT bypass SNMP access control rules to
    export a MIB object for which it is not granted access.

Does this apply to any exporter or only to an exporter implemented as
an SNMP manager accessing an SNMP agent? In the later case, I would
say this sentence is not needed since the sentence before already says
that the SNMP agent MUST enforce SNMP access control rules (and this
is the entity that has knowledge about the access control rules). In
the former case, more information would be needed since in order to
apply SNMP access control rules, you need to have an authenticated
identity to work with.

/js