Re: [secdir] draft-ietf-avt-rtp-g719-04, RTP Payload format for G.719

"Ingemar Johansson S" <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com> Tue, 09 December 2008 12:52 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 13:48:09 +0100
From: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Cc: fluffy@cisco.com, jon.peterson@neustar.biz, secdir@mit.edu, Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>, iesg@ietf.org, csp@csperkins.org, avt-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] draft-ietf-avt-rtp-g719-04, RTP Payload format for G.719
Sender: secdir-bounces@ietf.org

Hi

I would spend my 99 cents on alternative 2 below.

This because I believe it is asking too much from the payload format author to provide with a detailed analysis of threat models and countermeasures (I would not be able to provide with this info).
The drawback with requiring too much of this in each payload format spec is also that people will in the end only copy-paste the text from older specs with the risk that the information is stale or not applicable to the particular codec or usecase.

One must also keep in mind that it is often not the same people who do the codecs that do the security stuff. For that simple reason it would be better to allow (or maybe require ?) the payload format author to reference to a document that handles these issues. This would help the payload draft writing to become more of an automated process and reduce the time lag from first draft to an RFC.

Regards
Ingemar