Re: [sfc] SFC WG re-chartering - initial text for WG review/comment

Ron Parker <ron_parker@affirmednetworks.com> Sun, 07 January 2018 17:44 UTC

From: Ron Parker <ron_parker@affirmednetworks.com>
To: "Rahman, Akbar" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
CC: "cjbc@it.uc3m.es" <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>, James N Guichard <james.n.guichard@huawei.com>, Service Function Chaining IETF list <sfc@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 17:44:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [71.184.117.56]
Subject: Re: [sfc] SFC WG re-chartering - initial text for WG review/comment

Hi,

Regarding draft-purkayastha-sfc-service-indirection, I whole heartedly support the proposed evolution towards rationalization of an SFP (i.e., identified by an SPI) as a sequence of named service functions rather than (or in addition to) an exact sequence of Service Function Endpoints (SFEs), as I believe the authors are proposing.   Towards this end, I suggest the authors revisit the concept of Rendered Service Path (RSP) in the SFC architecture draft.   Although draft-purkayastha does not mention RSP, it was this dual-view of the SFP that was envisioned at the time – as an exact “concrete” sequence if you wanted it to be or a more abstract sequence with “late binding”.   The means of that late binding was not developed at the time and I think your proposal is a step in that direction.

Thanks.

   Ron