Re: [sfc] TTL field within the NSH base header

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Fri, 28 April 2017 14:37 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Dave Dolson <ddolson@sandvine.com>, Ron Parker <Ron_Parker@affirmednetworks.com>, "jmh.direct" <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, Joe Clarke <jclarke@cisco.com>, James N Guichard <james.n.guichard@huawei.com>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:33:21 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [sfc] TTL field within the NSH base header

Re-,

The current spec says :

   All other flag fields are reserved for future use.  Reserved bits
   MUST be set to zero when sent and MUST be ignored upon receipt.

Which means that these bits are zeroed, not forwarded as received.

Changing that behavior would avoid that the SFF hop limit bits are zeroed by an non-compatible SFF, but still doing so would lead to processing a hop limit field that is not reflecting the exact SFF hops (SFF loops will be still possible, then). Is it worth to enable the feature in such SFC domain given the unreliability of the mechanism? Wouldn’t be simple to require to enable it only if all SFFs/Classifier if a domain comply with it?

Cheers,
Med