Re: [sfc] WG last call for draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-04.txt

Dave Dolson <ddolson@sandvine.com> Wed, 13 April 2016 13:13 UTC

From: Dave Dolson <ddolson@sandvine.com>
To: "Paul Quinn (paulq)" <paulq@cisco.com>, Ron Parker <Ron_Parker@affirmednetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 13:13:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.200.63]
x-c2processedorg: b2f06e69-072f-40ee-90c5-80a34e700794
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sfc] WG last call for draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-04.txt

Paul,
Are you unhappy with the metadata constraints I suggested below?
Perhaps qualified by "In the absence of out-of-band configuration..." ?

I believe that the schemes proposed in these drafts satisfy the constraints:
- draft-sfc-nsh-dc-allocation-4,
- draft-napper-sfc-nsh-broadband-allocation-00

(I thought there were more allocation schemes, but I guess they expired.)

I'll update it here:

   In the absence of out-of-band configuration to indicate otherwise,
   metadata used in NSH headers must meet the condition that
   a transport-layer-stateful Service Function can save away
   metadata values that it has witnessed.  An injected packet can
   therefore be assigned a clone of metadata taken from an earlier
   packet going in the same direction.  For example, a Service Function
   can send a TCP packet using metadata cloned from another TCP packet
   of the same connection and direction.

   Note that the Service Function need not know the meaning of the
   metadata; it just needs to know it is safe to clone in this manner.

-Dave