Re: [sfc] Fragmentation and Path MTU text in nvo3 dataplane reqts draft

Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> Wed, 14 May 2014 22:02 UTC

From: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
To: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, "tsv-area@ietf.org" <tsv-area@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 22:02:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.192.11.155]
Cc: "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sfc] Fragmentation and Path MTU text in nvo3 dataplane reqts draft

I think that the "fragmentation and path MTU text" should be seriously discussed in SFC WG that is considering Service Chain Header format.

I've heard people mentioning encoding the explicit Service Chain path as metadata to the data packet header for some scenarios where head-end SC classifier node determines the chain path dynamically.

Just imagine having IPv6 addresses encoded in the packet header to show explicit service chain path, which can be very long.

Cheers,

Linda