Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-nordmark-shim6-esd-00.txt]

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Tue, 04 April 2006 11:16 UTC

Cc: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com>, shim6 <shim6@psg.com>
From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-nordmark-shim6-esd-00.txt]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:16:14 +0300
To: Scott Leibrand <sleibrand@internap.com>

Hi Scott,

> I disagree with this.  If a rewriting-capable host, which may or may
> not
> have a rewriting router on the path, started up communication observing
> these SHOULDs, then the host it's talking to, which may be a very busy
> non-multihomed (or PI-multihomed) server, would have to keep full shim6
> context and would be unable to discard it during communication due to
> the
> presence of shim6 extension headers on every packet.  This would be
> true
> even if no source-rewriting routers were deployed, and no one gained
> any
> benefit from the capability.
>
> IMO a better approach would be to continue using deferred context
> establishment (except in the identifier/locator split case, of course),
> and initially only put the Sent Locator Pair option packets that
> already
> have shim6 headers (shim6 control packets and any packets sent with
> non-ULID locators).  Then, *if* source locator rewriting is done by a
> router on *those* packets, you can start putting shim6 extension
> headers
> on all ULP payload packets.

I guess that what you want is first to discover if there is s router
rewriting in the path and if this is so, then enable this capability
for the particular shim6 context.

The problem that i see with this is that i don't think it is trivial to
detect if a rewriting router is in the path. In particular, i don't
think that the context establishment exchenge is enough to detect such
presence, especially because it may well happen that during the context
estbalihsment exchenge, the source address match with what the router
would have rewritten, and even if there is a rewriting router in the
path, the source address is unchanged.

I guess it hard to have both aggresive garbage collection and source
address rewriting and i guess each site will preffer one capability
over the other. So i guess that the best we could do is to provide
tools so that each site can benefit from the capability that it
preffers the most.

Regards, marcelo