RE: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-nordmark-shim6-esd-00.txt]

"Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com> Tue, 21 March 2006 07:53 UTC

Subject: RE: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-nordmark-shim6-esd-00.txt]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:53:00 -0800
From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>
To: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com>, shim6 <shim6@psg.com>

As I briefly mentioned today, there has been some complementary work in
the HIP RG that discusses the handling of non-routable identifiers in
legacy applications:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-henderson-hip-applications-02.
txt,
the main differences being the use of KHI (now ORCHIDs) in HIP instead
of CGAs.

Until recently, the HIP drafts defined a "Type 2" HIT with the property
that the upper 64 bits contained support for two levels of hierarchical
naming (enabling reverse resolution), with the lower bits being drawn
from a hash of the public key, but this HIT type was dropped due to lack
of interest last year:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hipsec/current/msg01519.html
It was also felt by some that 64 bits of hash was insufficient to
protect the binding between HIT and public key.

Tom