Re: Shim6 proxies

Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> Thu, 20 April 2006 11:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:54:59 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: Scott Leibrand <sleibrand@internap.com>
CC: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>, shim6@psg.com
Subject: Re: Shim6 proxies

Scott Leibrand wrote:
>>If you don't have source address rewriting, and we assume that ingress
>>filters are in place (which seems the by default assumption) then the
>>source address selection actually determines the exit path form the
>>multihomed site.
>

> Not in today's networks.  Currently routers route on destination address,
> not source address, so the destination address selection determines which
> route is used to route the packets, which in turn determines which source
> address you have to use if you want your packets to get out.

Actually, the sending host could theoretically use a different default gateway
for each different source address. That could be used as a back door method
for choice of exit router, without needing to touch router behaviour.

btw, draft-huitema-shim6-ingress-filtering-00 talks about this problem.

    Brian