Re: [shim6] I-D Action:draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api-12.txt

Shinta Sugimoto <shinta@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Sun, 10 January 2010 08:37 UTC

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:36:55 +0900
From: Shinta Sugimoto <shinta@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: shim6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [shim6] I-D Action:draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api-12.txt

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> This is looking good to me.
>
> Just one editorial point I noticed, section 10.2 discusses SIIT, which
> is deprecated. The intended replacement is draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate.
> At least this should be mentioned, even if you want to keep RFC 2765
> as the primary reference.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick feedback.

I see, and will include draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate as a reference in
the next revision.  I've updated the texts in as below.

10.2.  Incompatiblility between IPv4 and IPv6

    The shim sub-layer performs identifier/locator adaptation.
    Therefore, in some cases, the whole IP header can be replaced with
    new IP header of a different address family (e.g. conversion from
    IPv4 to IPv6 or vice versa).  Hence, there is an issue how to make
    the conversion with minimum impact.  Note that this issue is common
    in other protocol conversion techniques
    [RFC2765][I-D.ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate].

    As studied in the previous works on protocol
    conversion[RFC2765][I-D.ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate], some of the features
    (IPv6 routing headers, hop-by-hop extension headers, and destination
    headers) from IPv6 are not convertible to IPv4.  In addition, notion
    of source routing is not exactly the same in IPv4 and IPv6.  This
    means that an error may occur during the conversion of identifier and
    locator.  It is ffs exactly how the shim sub-layer should behave in
    such erroneous cases.

Regards,
Shinta