Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-tree-validation-01.txt

Oleg Muravskiy <oleg@ripe.net> Mon, 11 July 2016 08:36 UTC

From: Oleg Muravskiy <oleg@ripe.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:36:31 +0200
To: Declan Ma <madi@zdns.cn>
Cc: sidr <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-tree-validation-01.txt

Di,

> On 10 Jul 2016, at 16:08, Declan Ma <madi@zdns.cn> wrote:
>
> Oleg,
>
> I think this version is much better.
>
> Yet I still have a question with Section Security Considerations:
>
> "In contrast, objects whose content hash matches the hash listed in
>   the manifest, but that are not located in the publication directory
>   listed in their CA certificate, will be used in the validation
>   process (although a warning will be issued in that case).”
>
> Given these sorts of objects have been found somehow, in a different repository as described in Section 3.2.2. Manifest entries validation, your RP will take accept them anyway, using them in validation.
>
> What if this manifest is a stale one when the latest MFT has been deleted maliciously or inadvertently?
>
> A ROA found in a different repository may has been removed by the administrator and an attacker just replaces this ROA into that ‘different repository’  with poor management.
>
> There could be many risks here. I wonder why you take this approach.
>
> Di

Let's look at this case in more detail.

What you describe is that there used to be a valid ROA properly described by a manifest with number X. Then the change happened and in the manifest version X+1 that ROA is not listed anymore, and a new CRL that revokes that ROA is listed. The ROA file is also removed from the repository directory, and new CRL and manifest files replaced their previous versions.

Now, the RP does a new fetch of the repository content, and somehow gets the old version of the manifest, but the new content of directory, so:

- with rsync repository, the rsync stream needs to be tempered with, so that the new manifest is replaced by the old one, but the rest of the stream remains the same;

- with RRDP repository, the content of a snapshot or a delta needs to be tempered with, so that it does not contain a replace for the manifest.

In this situation the validator on the RP side could detect a mismatch, but it needs to decide whom to trust more: the RPKI-signed content of the manifest, or not RPKI-signed (and in case of rsync, not signed at all) content of an RRDP snapshot/delta or an rsync directory.

If we would choose to trust the rsync or RRDP content, then an attacker could easily remove a valid ROA (or certificate) from the stream, which probably is the simplest sort of attack the MITM could implement in case of RPKI.

So we chose to trust the RPKI-signed content.

Oleg