Re: [sidr] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-validation-reconsidered-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Tim Bruijnzeels <tim@ripe.net> Wed, 13 September 2017 14:20 UTC

From: Tim Bruijnzeels <tim@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:20:21 +0200
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Chris Morrow <morrowc@ops-netman.net>, sidr chairs <sidr-chairs@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-validation-reconsidered@ietf.org, sidr@ietf.org
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [sidr] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-validation-reconsidered-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi,

My apologies for the delay - I am just back from a late summer holiday.

Let me address the DISCUSS is in this, and Terry Manderson’s email, first.

> On 29 Aug 2017, at 04:36, Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> wrote:
>
> Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-validation-reconsidered-08: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-validation-reconsidered/

> DISCUSS:
>
> This is probably just a matter of me being dense, but I'd like to understand
> what I am missing:
>
> Is it legal to mix certificate policies in a given cert path? The last
> paragraph of section 5 implies that you can, but doesn't say so explicitly. If
> you _can_ mix policies, what happens if you do? If I read the rules in 4.2.4.4.
> correctly (and it's likely that I am not), if you run into a cert in the chain
> that does not follow this profile, it's likely to give a null VRS-IP or VRS-AS
> value, which would seem to invalidate an certificate further down the chain
> that _does_ follow this policy?
>
> So, I guess it comes down to the following: If mixed policies are allowed, how
> does that work? If mixed policies are not allowed, there needs to be text that
> says that. It's quite possible such text exists (here or elsewhere), and I
> missed it.

First of all it was my understanding that there was an agreement with the AD that actual deployment should be discussed in sidrops. So this document serves as a benchmark to describe the alternative algorithm. In my opinion a mix is supported by this document, but the choice whether this is an acceptable deployment model can be discussed later.

The current document leaves the OID as a per certificate choice and 4.2.2.4 provides a validation model that can be used in either case. In either case the VRS-IP/AS are calculated as described in item #7. Under item #8, the VRS-IP/AS is then compared again to the certificate to determine if it was ‘over-claiming’ compared to its acceptable VRS-IP/AS set. The OID choice determines whether this results in a warning about such over claiming resources, or rejecting. The algorithm defined here when only old OIDs are used is semantically equivalent to section 7.2 of RFC6847.

Note that item #7 does not have explicit text on the case where ‘inherit’ is used, but I believe that this is technically covered by the text in sections 2.2.3.5 and 3.2.3.3 of RFC3779. Essentially: the value of the signing certificate applies, use recursion if that also uses inherit.