Re: [sidr] A quick note from RPKI in the wild

Matthias Waehlisch <waehlisch@ieee.org> Thu, 08 December 2011 04:36 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 22:36:20 -0600
From: Matthias Waehlisch <waehlisch@ieee.org>
To: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <kotikalapudi.sriram@nist.gov>
Cc: "sidr@ietf.org" <sidr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sidr] A quick note from RPKI in the wild

Hi Sriram,

  I'm not sure if I understand your quote correctly: Do you only
consider the case where the super-block encloses the sub-allocations
(e.g., x.y.0.0/16-32 and x.y.z.0/24)? In this case, that would be no
MaxLength violation, right?.

  If the super-block does not enclose the announced prefix but there is
an incorrect origin AS, you cannot easily decide about the primary
reason for the invalidation (i.e., whether the ROA has been created
without considering sub-allocations or the origin AS has been announced
by mistake).

  Anyhow, for the measurements we presented last IETF, 80% of the
invalid announcements are due to invalid origin ASes. The remaining 20%
are due to obvious MaxLength violation (i.e., same origin AS in BGP
update and ROA, but longer prefix length in BGP update). Regarding the
announcements with incorrect origin AS, for approx. 85% of these BGP
updates there exists at least one ROA with a longer MaxLength value
compared to the prefix length announced (i.e., the ROA encloses the
incorrectly announced prefix). ... Maybe it makes sense to investigate
this case in more detail. For example, looking if there is a direct
peering between the ROA origin AS and the origin AS within the BGP
update.

Thanks
  matthias

--
Matthias Waehlisch
.  Freie Universitaet Berlin, Inst. fuer Informatik, AG CST