Re: [sidr] docco changes from minutes

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Wed, 23 May 2012 12:34 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, sidr wg list <sidr@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 08:34:37 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sidr] docco changes from minutes

[WEG] I have some notes implying I owe you text, but one of them is a bit cryptic through the filter of waiting too long after the meeting to look at it, perhaps it'll make sense if we both stare at it?

        Send Randy text about *why* you should drop invalid

        Origin ops/ BGP Sec ops
        Text - Deploy (upgrade code),
        apply policy just to tag with a community,
        then do analysis to ensure it's doing what you expect,
        then deploy policy to actually do things like drop invalid, prefer valid over unknown, etc."

I think the former is reference to a comment I made saying that if we were recommending (SHOULD? Or MUST?) that invalid be dropped, rather than simply de-preffed, we needed to spend some time explaining why (what badness can ensue if you don't drop). You wanted text, but I'm not totally sure that I know the complete rationale well enough to supply said text. Is it just a matter of the risk of eventually using an invalid route if the better options go away, or is there more to it?

The latter looks to me like a deployment guideline to address the concerns that I think Brian brought up about OV/BGPSec potentially creating non-trivial changes to routing during deployment. I can flesh that text out a bit if people agree that it's useful to add.

Thanks,
Wes George