Re: Storing filters in LDAP

Randall Gellens <randy@Qualcomm.Com> Sat, 03 July 1999 00:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 17:33:16 -0700
To: Bruce Steinback <bruces@Netscape.COM>, ietf-mta-filters@imc.org
From: Randall Gellens <randy@Qualcomm.Com>
Subject: Re: Storing filters in LDAP
Sender: owner-ietf-mta-filters@imc.org

I think we'll see UIs that expose a subset of Sieve functionality to
users, very much like today's mail client filter UIs.  The UI itself
will generate and interpret Sieve syntax (and will probably punt on
interpreting complex Sieve scripts and present an edit box).

How the UI accesses the Sieve script is n interesting question.  My
Email Accounts draft (draft-ietf-acap-email-02.txt) suggests using an
ACAP dataset for email account information.

We have prototype code that includes an NT GUI for Sieve creation and
editing, a mini-ACAP server for accessing the Sieve script, and a
Sieve execution engine.  The actual Sieve script is stored in a file,
but this is invisible except to the mini-ACAP server and the Sieve
execution engine.

I can also see people implementing various other access methods
including email and HTTP.

I think ACAP is attractive because it allows the client to get
extension information and syntax errors and the syntax is very easy
on both the client and the server, and there is no need for a full
ACAP server -- the mini-server (just for Sieve) works well.