Re: Storing filters in LDAP

Randall Gellens <randy@Qualcomm.Com> Wed, 07 July 1999 00:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 17:25:46 -0700
To: Lawrence Greenfield <leg+@andrew.cmu.edu>, ietf-mta-filters@imc.org
From: Randall Gellens <randy@Qualcomm.Com>
Subject: Re: Storing filters in LDAP
Sender: owner-ietf-mta-filters@imc.org

At 9:26 PM -0400 7/2/99, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:

>I agree with Randy that ACAP is the best place to store sieve
>scripts.  We could define a small subset that an ACAP server must
>support to handle Sieve scripts which should be straightforward to
>implement and place no large resource requirements on servers.
>
>Locating the ACAP server would be interesting.  I would suggest
>connecting to the ACAP port on the same host as the IMAP server, but
>paying attention to referral.  (This complicates the client
>implementation somewhat, but is probably worth it.)

I suggest we use a different port, since the server may support a
subset of ACAP.

We probably need a new email accounts dataset attribute,
email.sieve.script.url, and should probably rename the
email.sieve.script to email.sieve.script.text.  Then, if there is a
general ACAP server available, the client can connect to it and
examine the email.sieve.script.url attribute of the email accounts
dataset.

If both are null and the client wants to store a Sieve script, the
capabilities dataset should be queried to determine if this server
supports Sieve.  If not, I suppose the client should try the ACAP
Sieve profile port on the mail server.  It should then store into
either email.sieve.script.text or into email.sieve.script.url on the
ACAP server and into email.sieve.script.text on the mail server.

If there is no general ACAP server available, then the ACAP Sieve
profile port of the mail server should be tried.

>I could probably produce a draft of such functionality (and perhaps a
>prototype server) if people desire.

I was going to write a draft for the ACAP Sieve profile, I'd be happy
to either let you do it or to coauthor it with you.

I think a prototype server would be useful.  We do have some code
we've been playing with which we were considering for inclusion in
qpopper 3.1, if it gets finished in time.  The more the merrier.