Re: [Simple] FW: I-D Action:draft-rosen-simple-watcher-count-00.txt

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Fri, 29 February 2008 02:10 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:10:10 -0500
Cc: simple@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Simple] FW: I-D Action:draft-rosen-simple-watcher-count-00.txt
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

The authors have discussed having the list in the subscribe, and the delta
problem was the reason we left it as an XCAP managed document.  I think we'd
be amenable to exploring a more general solution.

I'm generally am in favor of more general purpose mechanisms, and I agree
that the general problem of knowing changing state of a set of URIs is a
general problem.  Of course, you never know for any particular problem if a
focused point solution really is better than a more general solution.  The
authors presented a point solution as a conversation starter, but I think
again we would be amenable to a more general purpose mechanism if that was
the consensus in the WG.  It probably generalizes beyond SIMPLE, but I
suspect we can keep the discussion going here for the time being.

We would like to keep the property that all it takes is one transaction for
the PS to tell the PNA about any changes that have happened (as opposed to
transaction per presentity), but I think we're pretty open on the semantics
of what the operation was doing.

I should also mention that we would even like to generalize the mechanism we
have proposed in a different dimension: a PNA may publish a number of
elements and would actually like to know if there are watchers for a
particular element rather than just the over-all watcher count.  The more
general the basic mechanism, the more realistic that kind of extension
should be.

Brian