Re: [Simple] Consensus Call on draft-ietf-simple-chat

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 16 December 2010 17:18 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:19:56 -0600
To: Mary Barnes <mary.ietf.barnes@gmail.com>
Cc: "Miguel A. Garcia" <miguel.a.garcia@ericsson.com>, Geir Arne Sandbakken <geir.sandbakken@tandberg.com>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, Simple WG <simple@ietf.org>, xcon-chairs@tools.ietf.org, Aki Niemi <aki.niemi@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [Simple] Consensus Call on draft-ietf-simple-chat

(as individual)

On Dec 16, 2010, at 11:04 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:

> I would agree with option 1, but I do not think you can have the 'nickname' defined in an informational draft so options 2) and 3) are not good IMHO.   Nickname is a key data element for chats.  So, I would suggest you add a fourth option and that is to add a normative reference to the xcon-data-model.

The informational part was not to say an informational draft, but an informational reference. I think the approach under discussion was to say that you MAY convey nickname information. One possible way to do that is with draft-ietf-xcon-common-data-model. I don't have a strong objection to making that a normative reference, though, if that is what others prefer.

> Of course, that doc will be published right around the same time as CCMP and per the draft-boulton-xcon-session-chat, you will have a chat based mechanism that doesn't require extensions to MSRP.  Although, in cases where folks might first implement this mechanism for chat (rather than XMPP, for example) and later want to use this mechanism with XCON, it would still work - it's just that you'd have two different mechanisms for setting the nickname.

Yep. That's come up before, and each time we land on "lets go ahead and publish simple-chat". I don't expect a different answer this time (although if someone has actually changed their mind since last time, I'd love to hear it.)